I received a phone call from a friend of mine over the weekend, he wanted me to price a compressor replacement at the church he attends. The air conditioning unit for their sanctuary was out due to a “bad compressor” according to another HVAC company. I received the list of items needed (per this other companies pricing) and I worked up a price for $4808.
Well we ended up getting the job and I sent one of our technicians out the day before we were schedule to do the installation of the compressor to verify the correct one was on order. It turned out the compressor was not bad but rather the condenser fan motor was locked up and caused the compressor to overheat. This misdiagnosis by a different company was going to cast this church over $4000 more than the repair of the fan that was needed. I can only speculate that once they would have installed the compressor and found the motor to be bad they would have charged for the motor as well.
So long story short we diagnosed the unit correctly, saved the church over $4000, made the proper repair and they are now cooling. We also have the church on a service agreement and will be taking care of them for years to come.